Glamour and The Dust - Reflections of 2016 Fashions on the Field Race Season Kick Off - Port Hedland

Race season for me kicked off on....

Port Hedland Ladies Day - Sunday 17th July 2016
17th July 2016 marked the day of the Port Hedland heat for the WA Country Cups Fashions on the Field final. I had been looking forward to this day for many months, had marked it off on the calendar and ensured I had time off work to attend. As circumstances had it, I happened to be in Perth prior to that weekend but I travelled back for Ladies day to share the day with friends.

Outfit Details:
Dress - Asilio - Season Upgrade Dress
I fell in love with this dress and all of its detail online, it is simply spectacular with the bell sleeves that were very much on trend this season, the midi length followed by the waterfall hemline at the back, the guipure lace detail and the spring vibe the embroidery gave was a winner for me.  Whilst I thought the neck line was a little daring for fashions on the field, the overall look of the dress screamed elegance and sophistication with a vintage/boho vibe so I thought I would give it a spin.  It literally was love at first sight – although a daring move as I hadn’t been able to try the dress on at all prior to the race day.

Fascinator – Morgan and Taylor – white Aisha (which I adorned with crystals across the top flowers)
I choose this fascinator as I though the crisp white guipure style lace complimented the dress and depending on the placement of the fascinator could change the look from more boho to vintage glam.

Earrings – Ayalabar – Morning Blossom Guadalupe Earrings from the S/16 collection
What an awesome day it was strolling through the streets of Subiaco and meeting Sheryl the owner of KulKul. She stocks the most stunning array of unique items I have seen and we chatted for hours about our mutual “fashion passion”.  It certainly was a treat to shop in her store and to stumble across such a stunning and fitting pair of earrings for the heat.

Shoes – Bardot – white T bar
I chose to wear a pair of shoes I had to accompany the outfit. As mentioned, I love attending race meets and I have had prior experience of how shoes can be destroyed in a few hours from the hard wearing Pilbara dirt.  Big shout out to the Port Hedland Turf Club for laying down some astro turf for the ladies this year and even going so far as to have a red carpet leading up to the run way of the fashions on the field parade.  All of these little touches add to the overall elegant ambiance of the day and make the women of Port Hedland feel special.

Clutch – Witchery – again I went with something I had in the wardrobe to accompany the outfit.  I wanted to keep the look light and fresh so choose white with gold hardware to keep the fresh feel.

Hair and Makeup was done by none other than the super talented Lais from Supernatural Hair in Port Hedland.  Lais your talents seriously astound me! 

For hair; Lais suggested a two part chignon updo, heavily teased at the crown to create height and the low chignon at the back to replicate the mermaid cut to the dress and the waterfall hem line to the back.

For makeup; I wanted to keep the look fresh, lots of blush to bring out the vintage vibe, and a coral lip to pull out the burnt orange colour which was so on trend during the autumn season which was also featured in the stunning Ayalabar earrings.
I was Lais’s first client of the day at Supernatural Hair, I sipped a strawberry champagne while she worked her magic and I must say I walked out with a light champagne glow, feeling elegant and glamorous and set for the day.

The rest of the morning was spent getting dressed with my two partners in crime, Sarah Blair and Erin Brierly who looked equally as amazing on Ladies Day, a massive shout out to the girls. We had a lovely day together, taking in all of the amazing displays of fashion the stunning ladies of Port Hedland put together.  I would not like to have been sitting on the judging panel that day – the effort put in was nothing short of amazing. 

With over 40 contestants for the judges to decipher, I was stunned to take out first prize and the $1500 travel voucher from HelloWorld travel with such stiff competition. I am super thankful as this money is going towards our return flights from Port Hedland – Perth to accept the main prize of the racing holiday to Hong Kong (which I have just returned from - more to come in later blogs about my adventure)

Thank you Port Hedland Turf Club for putting on such a classy day for the ladies of Hedland to get frocked up and enjoy the racing atmosphere!


Sarah Blair and I gearing up for a classy day out!





Top 5 finalists from heat one


The winners are announced


Port Hedland Cup Ball – Saturday 30th July 2016

I attended the Port Hedland Cup Ball on the Saturday night prior to cup day. I believe this was a new initiative for the Port Hedland Turf Club and was another stellar event.  A gorgeous marquee set up on the race course grounds was a perfect setting for an evening of champagne, belly laughs and dancing with friends.

Red Carpet bringing the glamour to the dust
Outfit for this event:
Dress – Sheike – Eva After Dress in lilac
Shoes – Borrowed from a friend J Sharing is caring!
Clutch – Vintage sequins adorned number I picked up from a local wardrobe market for $2 (I love this clutch) and this also fits right into my sustainable fashion philosophy which I ideally would like to see more of – especially in racing fashion.
Jewels (earrings and necklace) – were my late grandmother’s necklace which I am simply obsessed by and wear it to many formal occasions.  They just don’t make things like they used to in the old days and this set is a stand out in my opinion.
Hair and Makeup – done by self J





I was running short on time getting ready for this event, so went with the slicked back wet look for hair and a dark smoky eye paired with the lip colour Rebel from MAC to further play on the purple colour palette in the dress.

The girls.... loving a good selfie 


Sammie Greed and I 



The barrier gates adorned with fairy lights made awesome photo props!




























The insanely stunning Danni from Beauty by Danielle and I















Port Hedland Cup Day Sunday 31st July 2016


Arguably, Port Hedland Cup is one of the biggest days of the year for many local residents.  Men and women alike come out in their finest for a great day out of racing action.  This year “Heddie Cup Day” sure did not disappoint.  Many new friends were made, more fun times had, bets placed, money lost and won. A typical well rounded day at the races! Super fun times.

Outfit for this event:
As there were no fashions on the field for Heddie Cup I chose to wear a dress in my wardrobe I had had for sometime which I am also a little obsessed with - again 'big ups' to sustainable fashion. I love Sass & Bide, love their eclectic and daring styles which align more closely to my usual day to day preference rather than my preferred racewear looks.  Knowing that metallic was big trend this season I really wanted to rock out this number and pair it with a vintage headband.
Dress – Sass & Bide (bought second hand online J) – rose gold metallic number with exquisite detail to the back which likened a bird tail.
Headpiece – handmade vintage item purchased from Glebe Markets in Sydney about 12 years ago, my bridesmaid wore this on my wedding day.  I love the black feather and metallic detail throughout and thought it added additional drama to the style of the Sass and Bide dress.
Shoes – Kurt Geiger – Harem Black Suede
Clutch – Dianna Ferrari – patent leather black envelope clutch

Sarah Blair, Erin Brierly and I 
Again a massive shout out to my girls Sarah and Erin, we gathered at my abode and dressed and styled each other, a fair bit of convincing had to be done to pull off some of the looks of the day – but if I don’t say so myself I think the girls look sensational!

The girls rocking their looks and enjoying the sunshine!


#flowercrownsarethebomb

#glamourandthedust

Next blog wrap up will cover Glamour and The Dust - Reflections of 2016 Fashions on the Field Race Season - Broome...

Comments