Glamour and the Dust - Reflections of the 2016 Fashions on the Field Race Season - Broome

Road Trip from Port Hedland to Broome
Broome Ladies Day – Tuesday 9th August 2016

My husband (Darcy) and I made the trek up to Broome from Port Hedland on the 8th of August and partook in the week long Cable Beach Resort Broome Cup Package – which was astutely put together with many high quality opportunities to mingle, network, enjoy drinks, canapés, dance moves and of course racing events.

A huge shout out to Belle Lyons who took care of us from start to finish during the week long escape.

The trip up was full of highs and lows, the races were obviously the highlights, the low lights were the blow out of a tyre on the trip up, the demolishing of my mobile phone as we arrived and a husband that fell ill to the wretched swine flu towards the end of the week we were in Broome :(

The first of the race meets was Broome Cup Ladies Day – the fun and fashion sure did not disappoint.  With a bird’s eye view of the track and also the runway of the fashions on the field I was certainly in my element.

Darcy McEwan, checking out the track with the obligatory cold ale in hand
Lucky for me, already winning the heat in Port Hedland, I was unable to enter Fashions on the Field in Broome as I did have many fashion stuff ups.

I had planned on wearing the unique, Dolce and Gabbana Caretto Horse Printed dress paired with a gorgeous Gloria Pearl fascinator (Amanda Smith is a local Port Hedland Milliner – safe to say I am obsessed with her designs) – however during the dry cleaning process, the colours of the dress had run and it was super unfortunate that it was then rendered unwearable.
(Even the super high end labels don’t always have long lasting quality at the forefront of their design briefs - disappointing)

D&G Caretto Horse Print Dress
D&G Caretto Horse Print Dress

Set on wearing my stunning red/orange flowered Gloria Pearl fascinator, in a last minute decision, I was able to hire the By Johnny Bermuda dress from ‘Her Wardrobe’ – which had proven quite popular this race season.
In fact this was my husband’s choice, and what a great one it was, as it saw the stunning Mel Anderson (ex Hedlander) now residing in Broome end up in the WA Country Cups final wearing the same dress paired with a Gloria Pearl fascinator.
Definitely a great choice by my husband and evidence that great minds think alike!


The gorgeous Mel Anderson strutting her stuff on the catwalk
Hair and Makeup – done by myself.
It was a usual August hot Broome Day – so I kept the look fairly simple knowing full well that whatever was applied would more than likely end up in a hot sticky mess by days end.

Broome ladies did not disappoint in the fashion stakes.  There were 60 contestants in the fashions on the field, making judging supremely difficult.

It was great to see colour as a feature in the top 5 finalists list – it simply enhanced the overall natural beauty of Broome and the stunning ocean side track location.
A sample of the Broome Ladies Day finalists
My outfit for Broome Ladies Day
Darcy and I about to head to Zensai for an excellent array of Japanese food on the Wednesday night following Ladies Day









Broome Cup Day – Saturday 13th August 2016


The much anticipated Broome Cup Day arrived, after having spent a week with a group of lovely people who had also indulged in the 6 night Cable Beach Resort Racing Package, Darcy and I had found our partners in crime for the race day.

We spent the day with two lovely ladies from Melbourne who shall remain nameless as they were enjoying a girls only escape away from the cold without their husbands knowledge (how they managed that I am not sure) but they were certainly a hoot.

Enjoying our pre-departure glass of Mumm to get us in the racing mood
Following our pre-race departure drink of G.H. Mumm to get us in the mood for the day of action ahead we climbed on board the first bus possible to get early bird track side positions.  This allowed us to set up in the best location for both racing and any attempts of a breeze to cool us all down in the Allure Marquee which was creatively decked out in a resort style vibe. The look was complete with cane lounges and white furnishings bringing a light and bright feel to the marquee.


The Allure Marquee
Unfortunate for us was that my favourite bookie, Steve Mullhall, was quite a walk away, but worth the trek for the many winners Darcy backed on the day.  I on the other hand was not as lucky L


My actual outfit for Broome Cup Day

Outfit for the event:
Dress – ASOS – Wiggle Dress - this was not my intended number for the day either – I had intended on wearing the YeoJin Bae – Double Crepe Corrine Dress in Fuschia (but it did not arrive on time – the joys of living rurally.

Lucky for me I packed a spare just in case Australia Post let me down)

Hat – Borrowed from my trusty friend Sammie Greed – thanks hun.  It is a gorgeous Laura Ashley floppy and not only stylish but practical in the Broome heat as well.

I was super thankful for it at days end when I was not sunburnt to a crisp from the trekking up and down to the bookies I did all day J

Shoes – Nine West – Nude Pump – my favourites ever – I can walk in those babies ALL day long!

Clutch – Dianna Ferrari in nude

Hair – self (the other benefit of a floppy hat is that humid Broome hair can be hidden and tamed with a truck load of serum!)
Makeup – self – I went with a purple smoky eye paired with one of my favourite MAC lip colours “Girl About Town”
Gloria Pearl Flower Crown
My original YeoJin Bae choice for Broome Cup Day





Early morning Cable Beach shadows

The above events rounded out my 2016 Pilbara/Kimberley race season – it was simply a matter of sitting tight and preparing mentally for the Ascot Final which I was soooooo excited for.

During this time I have also undertaken some serious instagram stalking of the latest racing fashion trends and I have also been lucky enough to be featured in a blog by Racewear Carousel with none other than racing fashion blogger Milano Imai. I adore her style.

You can check out their blog here:
https://racewearcarousel.com.au/embroidered-racewear-spring-trends/

It has been a bucket list item to attend Ascot Races, Perth, as from the visual on the television it looked to me to be a spectacular course – it sure did not disappoint.
So this brings me to the WA Country Cups Final Weekend which was full of friendship creation and frivolity! Stay tuned for the low down of how the 12 finalist were simply spoilt rotten over the weekend and all things Glamour and the Dust! xx

A throw back to 2015 Broome Cup Races - Nicola Finetti Monochrome Dress paired with Alannah Hill Black Lace gloves and a black raffia fascinator

Comments